25 May 2013

Song of Myself

Thinking of Nate today and his upcoming celebration. I stumbled upon an idea that I have been thinking about wanting to do with the Drexel Diary. Following a form/ copying a style, so here goes:


A Cyclist's Song of Myself 
part 1

1
I celebrate myself, and I sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every neutrino beloning to me as good belongs to you.

I pedal and invite my soul,
I spin in a circle and every circle I observe a new shade of green

My legs, my feet, my body are engaged
but so is my mind
Born in land across the ocean,
Born of parents born in the east, and their parents just the same,
I am in a different America, for five years, and I dare call it my home

I, now thirty-one years old in good health begin,
Hoping to cease not till death.

Political institutions seeming meaningless,
Retiring into predicable patterns,
Information seemingly censored in the post-information age
I search for good by pedaling in circles,
Observing Nature without bounds with original energy.

2
Cities full of smog and pollution without limits
Why should a tiny andean nation try to address the problem of industrialized giants?
The perfume of grit gives way to the sent of the atmosphere,
It is in my mouth forever, I am in love with it,
I shall continue to pedal away from the city and into the mountains.

The sound of my own breath, my heart, my legs, all pumping rhythmically,
My respiration and my perspiration evaporating in the mountain air,
Through my lungs, through every neutrino of my body,
My elevation increases.

And then we plateau.
Going down, smelling the changing elevation,
The pines to the cloudforest to the new pavement to the river,
Following the river down, winding down, bumping and jostling down,
over cobblestones.
The sun on the trees and on the trail, the sun dancing as is changes from shade to light warmth to warmth to shade
Arriving at the bottom the air is more dense, every breath is heavier, filled with more oxygen, the oxygen fills my lungs and every pore of my body.
Feeling my health, my vitality, my strength and my weakness, I ride.

Have you ever pedaled until your legs won't give anymore?
Have you ever ridden downhill until your hands go numb?
Have you ever felt the atmosphere change around you as you descend?
Have you ever felt so proud to write a poem about a bike?

Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of all poems,
You shall possess the good of the ride and the good of the sun,
You shall no longer see things as static, but always in a state of motion, a state of arriving.
You shall no longer need my bike, you shall only ride your own,
and filter your journey on your own.



Well there goes, first installment of a cyclist's song, I have always wanted to di this, add, convert, translate some Whitman into my person experience, more to follow...









1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment! I did not know this was listed on Yahoo News, that is good to know, sorry can´t give any advice there.

    ReplyDelete